Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/11527/17091
Title: İshak Paşa Hamamı Restorasyon Projesi
Other Titles: Ishak Pasha Bath
Authors: Ahunbay, Zeynep
Erdal, Mehmet
50782
Restorasyon
Restoration
Keywords: Osmanlı mimarisi
Restorasyon
İshak Paşa Hamamı
İstanbul
Ottoman architecture
Restoration
İshak Pasha Bath
Istanbul
Publisher: Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü
Institute of Science and Technology
Abstract: Tarihi yarımadanın anıt yoğunluğu bakımından en zengin bölgesinde bulunan İshak Paşa hamamı, İstanbul'un Eminönü ilçesi Cankutaran mahallesinde yer almaktadır. Kesin yapılış tarihi bilinmemekle beraber vakfiyesinin 891 / 1487 tarihli olmasından ötürü, 1453-1487 tarihleri arasında yapıldığı ileri sürülmektedir. Hamam, 16. ve 18. yüzyıllardaki depremlerden ve 1912'- deki İshak Paşa mahallesi yangınından zarar görmüştür. 1950 yılında Kadastro Komisyonu tarafından özel mülkiyete geçirilmiştir. 1950* 1 i yıllarda kağıt deposu olarak kullanılmaya başlanmış, daha sonra tamirhane ve imalathane olarak kullanılmış, şu anda kalas deposu olarak kullanıl maktadır. Gerek mekansal özellikleri, gerek bezemeleri ve geçiş öğeleri bakımından önemli bir hamam olan yapının rölövesi H. Glück tarafından 1921' de yayınlanmıştır. 1973' de ise E. H. Âyverdi bir inceleme yazısı yazmıştır. Yapımından bugüne kadar beş yüzyılı aşan süre içinde bütün dış etkenlere karşın ayakta kalmaya direnen hamam bugün harap durumdadır. Özgün şekli ile merkezi planlı, köşe hücreli sıcaklık şemasına sahip olan hamamın bir köşe hücresi ve eyvanı, he- la-usturalık mekanı, külhan ve depolar, su haznesi 13. yüz yılda yıkılmış ve yok olmuştur. Restorasyon projesinde; yapının mimari özellikleri, çevre gereksinmeleri ile birlikte değerlendirilmiş ve kafeterya işlevi verilmiştir.
Tlıe laîıak Fasha batlı holds a very important position on the historical Istanbul peninsula. It is situated just. 300 m southeast from St. Sophia and faces the Sui - u Sultani or Sultan's castles. The bath completes the Ishak Pasha Külliye (Complex) which also contains a mektep or primary school and a mosque. In the 7th century B.C. a city was established on this site by Xegaras and was named Byzantium. The Romans conquered Byzantium in 193 A. D. and the area of the külliye was renamed Topoi. The most notable buildings here were churcs and baths During the time of Emperor Justinianus (527-565), an extensive park dominated the area with a wide collonaded road running through it. Once Mehmet II had conquered Constantinople, he established his palace at Bayezit and then ordered a series of new kosks and Castles to be built in the area now called Sarayburnu. These were completed in 1478. Ishak Pasha was the sadrazam (Prime minister) for Mehmet II, and he wished to construct a kulliye(a complex consisting of a bath, primary school and mosque) in the Topoi area. We can deduce from his official records of 1487 (Vakfiye) XVI that the battı was built between 1453 and 1487. The title of the külliye was "Ishak Pasha. Mahallesi". Later this district was extended up ta Çatladı kapı. This official record states that he is the sole owner and beneficiary of the hamam for the extend of his life time and after his death the income derived from the bath was to be given to his children until their deaths whence it was to be given to the Ishak Pasha imaret (kitchen) in Inegol. The bath is situated on the corner of Ishak Pasha Rise and Akbıyık Street. Opposite the southeast wall of the bath we find the mosque and diagonally across the street the mektep (primary school). The bath was damaged by earthquakes in 1509 and 1766 and from fire in. 1912. These disasters affected the bath seriously especially the fire. Ve can assume that the bath lost its original function due to these disasters, and it was used' as a military fabric store for some time. In 1950 The Turkish Government handed the bath over to those that were utilizing it at the time. It was then used a paper store and then a motor repair garage. These functional changes obviously damaged the bath still further, EG; a window on the firs level was converted into a doorway and the southeast wall of the caldarium and tepidarium were demolished to make door entrance. The dressing hall of the bath is covered by a dome, the diameter of which is 11.40 m. The original furniture of this area viz: The fountain, pool and stone seats, have disappeared except for a small part of the stone seat. XVII The dressing hall has windows at three different levels which supply good lighting. A pointed arched door leads to the tepidarium and is offset to the left. The door which used to lead to the toilet section has been blocked up- The tepidarium occupies a small space in the hamam, resembling most baths of the same period. The original furniture for this area has also been lost. The calderium originally had four iwans CHiches) and three cells but due to the earthquakes in 18th century the southeast i wan and south cell have been demolished. The original washbasins and seats have disappeared. The mar bel or platform (Gobektasi) is also missing; around 1919 Mr. H. Gluck, a German Architect who was studying the site confirmed that it had been octoganal in shape. The remaining cells in the north and west corners are 3.40 m x 3.45 m in size. Originally the west and south cells would have been the hottest rooms of the bath. All these cell's were covered by domes with a diameter of 3.20 m but only the beginning structure of the north and west cells remains. The last part of the bath is the heating centre or kül han. All rooms of the hamam except the dressing hall are heated from this area. The fire's smoke was exhausted through channels under the floor and in the walls and helped to heat the bath. The materials which were utilized are stones, marbels and bricks. The walls are of limestone and the floor paving XVIII of Marmara marbel. All the domes and vaults are of brick. When we compare the Ishak Pasha bath with others of the 15th century we realize that all are of a similar plan and construction. Hocapasha bath, Bostan bath, JTishanca bath and Cavusbasi bath have similar plans to the Ishak Pasha bath. The male and female areas are located parallel to each other Before attempting- to develop a restoration project, the bath was examined and mesaured and drawings were prepared indicating the present state of the building. Restitution drawings were then done indicating the original plan and elevations. From these the restoration proposel was developed We propose to utilize the bath as a cafe where one can smoke nargile
Description: Tez (Yüksek Lisans) -- İstanbul Teknik Üniversitesi, Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü, 1992
Thesis (M.Sc.) -- İstanbul Technical University, Institute of Science and Technology, 1992
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/11527/17091
Appears in Collections:Restorasyon Lisansüstü Programı - Yüksek Lisans

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
50782.pdf16.29 MBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.